Admission and Enrolment (FAQ's)

Which documents do you need as a new student upon enrolment?

What are the admission requirements?

What are the application and enrolment deadlines?

What is the admission procedure if I don't have a degree of secondary education?

In order to enrol in a bachelor programme, you need a degree of secondary education. If you don't have this or when you don't meet the diploma requirement, you can try to gain access to higher education via an admission procedure organised by all partners of the Ghent University Association. The procedure is the same for all prospective students and can only be completed once per academic year.

You need to meet two requirements before you can take part in the admission procedure:

  • Age: you are at least 21 years old (or you will be 21 years old, at the latest on 31 December of the academic year of your enrolment). If you are a refugee or a displaced person, this age requirement is not applicable for you.
  • Language: to enrol in an English degree programme, you as a future student need to prove that your level of English is at least B2. More information about the English language requirement can be found here.

When you meet these requirements, you can make an appointment with a staff member of the Office of Study and Career Guidance for an intake interview. This can be done by clicking on a moment for the 'toelatingsonderzoek' (admission procedure) in our digital calendar. Before coming to the intake interview, go through the 'guide for the applicant'. During the intake interview, there will be time for practical questions and questions about the content of the programme.

There are two deadlines per academic year for  the admission procedure:

  • You want to start your studies at our University College in September: the admission test takes place in June. It is best to plan the intake interview before mid-May.
  • You want to start your studies at our University College in February: the admission test takes place in November. It is best to plan the intake interview before the end of October.

Do I need an English language certificate?

You don't need an English language certificate if you can demonstrate that you have finished your complete secondary education in certain countries. You can find an overview of these countries here.

When your country is not in this overview, we need from you an English language certificate (you can see here which certificates + scores we accept).

Which language certificates do you accept as proof of English proficiency?

Check out the English language requirements here.