Visa and registration in Ghent (FAQ's)

What is the 'registration upon arrival in Ghent'?

All foreign students staying in Ghent, have to report to the Migration Office as soon as possible after arrival in Ghent.

This registration is obligatory for ALL foreign students, no matter how long they stay in Belgium or no matter what their home country is.

Specific information about the registration procedures at the Migration Office of the City of Ghent can be found on this website in English (in Dutch). Be aware that there are 2 different registration procedures on this website:

  • Registration procedure for EU citizens, EEA nationals and Swiss nationals;
  • Registration procedure for third-country nationals (Non EEA countries)

How can I apply for a visa?

To apply for a visa you can contact the Belgian Embassy in the country where you are a resident. The minimum wait time for visa processing is approximately 4 weeks, but it could take up to 3 months in busier periods.Therefore, submit your visa application on time (you can start your visa application as of 3 months before the start of our academic year (September))! For more information about the visa application at the Belgian Embassy/Consulate, click here. 

A contribution fee is required for the processing of certain long stay (D) visa applications for non-EEA students. The fee depends upon the type of visa and the status of the applicant and varies between € 160 and € 215. Detailed information can be found on the website of the Belgian Federal Public Service for Foreign Affairs.

Do I need a visa?

Students from EEA countries, Monaco and Switzerland do not need a special visa to enter Belgium. All other students should apply for a visa.