Proficiency in English (degree seeking students)
In addition to the required diploma, you also need to prove your level of English is at least B2*. You can prove your proficiency on the basis of a language certificate.
Language certificates accepted by Artevelde University of Applied Sciences
You will have to present one of the English language certificates from the list below. These certificates or diplomas must have been issued within the last two years to be valid.
- TOEFL test: score of at least 85 - institution code: B527; (NEW: TOEFL special home edition)
- IELTS test: score of at least 6.5;
- ITACE test: at least Level B2 for all completed components!;
- Duolingo test: score of at least 110 + extra oral test at Artevelde UAS (for this oral test you can make an appointment via firstname.lastname@example.org - You can only take the oral test after submitting the results of Duolingo)
- Cambridge English Advanced certificate: at least Level B2 for all completed components;
- Cambridge English First certificate: grades A, B, and C;
- Cambridge English Business Vantage certificate: grades A, B and C;
- Cambridge English Business Higher certificate: at least Level B2 for all completed components;
- Cambridge English Proficiency certificate;
- IB diploma (Diploma Programme);
- IGCSE (awarded by Edexcel, at least three IGCSE O Levels + three IGCSE A Levels);
- Artevelde University of Applied Sciences Certificate*.
*Language screening tests organized by Artevelde University of Applied Sciences
The language screening tests organised by Artevelde University of Applied Sciences will be held on the following dates:
Please note this test should only be taken by candidates who intend to study at Artevelde University of Applied Sciences. Until further notice, the test takes place online.
For ICM and IGM only after appointment.
- IBM = International Business Management
- ICM = International Communication Management
- IGM = International Graphic and Digital Media
- IOM = International Organisation and Management
The language screening test at Artevelde University of Applied Sciences (free of charge) consists of:
- a two-hour test on reading comprehension, listening comprehension and vocabulary;
- a speaking proficiency test with an examiner
You must obtain a B2 level for all parts (reading, listening, vocabulary and speaking test) in order to pass our English screening test.
For the following programmes, please register for a language screening by sending an e-mail mentioning your name, address, telephone number and date of the screening test:
- IBM@arteveldehs.be for International Business Management
- IOM@arteveldehs.be for International Organisation and Management
- info.IGM@arteveldehs.be for International Graphic and Digital Media
- info.ICM@arteveldehs.be for International Communication Management
A €40 no-show fee will be charged if you don’t show up to your scheduled language screening test. Until further notice, the test takes place online.
You cannot take this test a second time if you fail. It is however still possible to take another English test at an external test centre (e.g. TOEFL, Duolingo,..).
You don't need an English language certificate if you can demonstrate that you have finished your complete secondary education in one of these countries:
- Antigua and Barbuda;
- The Bahamas;
- Canada (except for Quebec!);
- New Zealand;
- Saint Kitts and Nevis;
- Saint Lucia;
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines;
- Trinidad and Tobago;
- United Kingdom (minimum three GCE O-levels + three GCE A-levels OR minimum three GCE O-levels + Edexcel BTEC level three Extended Diploma);
- United States of America (High School Diploma with a Transcript of Records mentioning at least four APs (Advanced Placements).
Looking for other information?
Contact the Student Administration Office
or read the answers to frequently asked questions about enrolment for degree students.
Among the topics:
- tuition fee
- student visa