International Summer Class 3D Modeling & Printing
This Summer Class aims to introduce students into the world of 3D modeling and 3D printing. 3D printing is a technology that was developed more than 20 years ago, but only the last years, companies discover the possibilities of this technique for different applications. The technology is already used often in prototyping and small series production, but also marketing has discovered the possibilities of 3D in campaigns. There’s more and more the demand of creating a 3D object starting from a 2D design.
A good 3D print starts with the design and modeling of a virtual object. During this Summer Class, you will be trained in the different modeling techniques which enable you to create your own printable 3D object.
The Graphic and Digital Media department of Artevelde University of Applied Sciences in Ghent organizes this class with other partners like Flam3D, Materialise, TimeLab and VossChemie. All of them are experts in one of the domains of 3D printing.
WHAT TO EXPECT?
- You will learn to create 3D models using different techniques and print them
- You will learn to create and prepare your reference images
- You will experience what problems can raise with printing of 3D models and how to solve them
- You will learn to scan 3D objects with a hand scanner and edit these models to be able to print them
- You will learn to use 3D printers and how to maintain them
- You will gain insight into the different 3D printing techniques and materials, as well in the 3D modeling software
- You will visit several companies involved in 3D printing, development of 3D printing services and 3D hardware and software
- The training itself will be mainly organized by the staff of the Artevelde University of Applied Sciences and several external experts will provide additional workshops or lectures.
- You will learn more about the Flemish culture and way of living.
- You will acquire 5 ECTS and receive an official transcript. You can read the ECTS study guide here.
WHO IS IT INTENDED FOR?
Any motivated and talented student in the academic year prior to graduation is welcome to this class. There are no special basic competencies needed for this program.
If you are interested in how you can create 3D objects and how you can print them, you have the right profile to follow this Summer Class!
Please, contact your international agent at your university or institution and make an application by sending her or him a motivation letter and CV before the 9th of May.
EAGER TO KNOW MORE?
If you are interested in this Summer Class 3D modeling and 3D printing, kindly apply via the international coordinator of your home institution. Extra information about this Summer Class you should know:
- The 10 days Summer Class starts on Monday the 20th of June and finishes on Friday the 1st of July 2022.
- The 10 days Summer Class itself costs €150, you will also need to pay the additional costs for mobility: transport to, from and in Ghent/Belgium, your accommodation in Ghent, food and all individual expenses.
- We require you to bring your own laptop with an additional numeric keyboard and a mouse with a scrollwheel.
- During the courses, we will work with open-source software: Blender. For the preparation of 3D objects, Cura will be used.
- Ghent is an exciting historic city and offers plenty of nice youth hostels: www.hostelworld.com. Book your room in time.
- English will be the language of tuition. You are supposed to master the B1 level of English.
SUMMER CLASS OF 2017 & 2018