Language Diversity Week
All of our students combined know and speak more than 100 languages. Unesco celebrates this language diversity on February 21st.
And Artevelde UAS joins in with yearly festivities!
From African to Yue Chinese
Afrikaans Akan Albanian Algerian Arabic Armenian Assyrian Azeri Bambara Basque Bengali Berber Bosnian Bulgarian Cambodian Cape Verdean Creole Catalan Cebuano Chechen Chinese Creole Croatian Czech Dari Danish Dholuo Dutch Dyula Edo English Estonian Fang Farsi Filipino Finnish French Fula Fulani Georgian German Greek Gujarati Hebrew Hindi Hungarian Icelandic Igbo Indonesian Ingush Italian Javanese Kinyarwanda Kirundi Kurdish Lao Lingala Lithuanian Luxembourgish Malaysian Mandinka Maninka Mauritian Creole Medumba Mongolian Montenegrin Moroccan Arabic Nepali Northern Sami Norwegian Papiamento Pashto Persian Polish Portuguese Punjabi Romani Romanian Russian Serbian Shona Sign language Spanish Sranan Tongo Swahili Swedish Tagalog Telugu Thai Tibetan Tigrinya Turkish Twi Ukrainian Urdu Uyghur Vietnamese Wolof Yoruba Yue Chinese
All languages spoken by students at Artevelde UAS *10 most spoken languages
What is Language Diversity Week?
Since 2017 AUAS has organized a yearly Language Diveristy Week. The goal is twofold. One, we want to put a spotlight on language and culture. The language diversity is often much greater than assumend at AUAS. Take a look at this infographic with facts and figures and watch the testimonials of multilingual students and staff.
Second, we want to highlight the added value speaking more languages has. Our blog (in Dutch) disproves some basic misconceptions on multilingualism.
Looking back on Language Diversity Week 2021
In 2021 Language Diversity Week was hosted from February 22 to 26.
- Managing increasing diversity: How do multilingual and foreign-language students experience studying at Artevelde UAS? Presentation of the research results of focus interviews with multilingual and foreign-language students.
By Joke Vrijders, Pieterjan Bonne and Nele Pierlet of the Office for Study and Career Guidance - recording - slides (in Dutch)
- Myths on multilingualism: fact check
By Glenn Aerts, lecturer Speech Therapy - recording - slides (in Dutch)
- Intercultural and mulitlingual Meet & Greet with break-out rooms in Spanish, French, Russian, Turkish, Arabic, etc.
By more than 20 multilingual students of AUAS
- Punjabi for dummies: Immerse yourself in a (new) language and culture
By Romy Singh, student Primary Education - slides (in Dutch)
- Experience workshop: Discover how it feels to study in a language that isn't your mother tongue
By Tinneke van Bergen, language coach and lecturer Primary Education
- Multiligualism: an asset for employers? Inspirational session with multilingual students, alumni and professionals
By Pieterjan Bonne - recording (in Dutch) and
- Idris Folad, student Business Management
- Taoufik Boutiebi, alumnus Early Childhood Education and student Social Work, from at KAA Gent Foundation
- Ahlam El Hayouni, alumna Preschool Education, teacher
- Peter Hulpiau, from Good Planet
- Marieke Lamaire, from City of Gent
Click here for a brief overview of previous activities.
Contact and more information
Interested to share some insights on your culture and/or language? Do you want some more information? Contact the Office of Study and Career Guidance.